Outdoor socks at eXXpozed
What are the different types of oudtdoor socks?
Hiking, running, mountain climbing and cycling without sports socks is not a good idea. Socks go to the middle of the calf at most. Sports socks should first of all fit the sport, fit tightly to the foot, do not chafe, quickly wick moisture to the outside and have an anatomically shaped footbed. Other properties depend on the sporting activity and the season. In our eXXpozed online store you will find the right pair of socks for every activity.
- Hiking socks & trekking socks: Hiking socks are designed to protect and preserve overused feet while hiking. Especially blisters, so also pressure and chafing points benefits. At the same time, the foot remains cool and there is much less moisture accumulates in the shoe. Particular attention should be paid to the size, so that the sock remains at the right place in the shoe and does not slip. So the socks fit snugly on the foot and nothing stands in the way of a great hike.
- Running socks : Perfect for running or for the trail. Unlike everyday cotton socks, running socks are tailored to the foot. Some brands differentiate the left sock from the right, as each side is anatomically fitted. The socks should fit the foot like a second skin. If the fit is too loose, blisters can occur. Matching running socks can benefit from additional cushioning properties.
- Ski socks: Ski socks are the super weapons against cold feet. Apart from the fact that they provide perfect warmth, they have other advantages. Good ski socks do not slip in the ski boot and do not wrinkle. They also ensure optimal control and allow direct power transmission. As well as special padding so that the ski boot does not press. Depending on the weather, a distinction can be made between thick and thin ski socks. In sub-zero temperatures, heated ski socks can be worn.
- Cycling socks: When cycling, the feet have to do hard work over a long period of time, which is why cycling socks are indispensable. This keeps the feet dry and provides them with optimal support in the shoe. Thanks to the existing footbed padding, the feet are protected from shocks and unpleasant pressure points. Toes and heels require the greatest protection and are therefore appropriately reinforced in both areas. Mountain bike socks and road bike socks guarantee optimal fit and support in the cycling shoes. Road bike socks are quite thin and lie directly on the skin. Mountain bike socks, on the other hand, are more cushioning and have a higher cut.
- Compression socks: Significant for runners, trail runners and road cyclists. The tight-fitting socks provide optimized blood circulation in the legs. Compression socks during sports can help improve performance. After training, it can lead to faster recovery. The compression of the socks ensures better blood circulation. Due to the optimized supply of the muscles, the legs feel lighter. The compact fit suppresses energy-sapping muscle vibrations.
What material are outdoor socks made of?
- Cotton socks: Cotton socks are made of ultra-soft and durable cotton fiber, which is lightweight and moisture-wicking. Cotton is also a particularly breathable, easily washable and durable material. Because the cotton fibers are literally combed, the socks do not fray easily and feel softer. Cotton is mainly used in sports socks, cycling socks and multifunctional socks. A super wearing feeling and high stability are opposed to longer times when drying.
- Merino wool socks: These socks keep you comfortable during outdoor activities. The wool warms even when wet. Merino wool is odor resistant. Keratin, the protein the fiber is made of, breaks down odor-causing bacteria. In addition, there is the advantage that the surface of the fiber remains relatively dry, so the bacteria can not grow well. This makes the socks comfortable to wear. Unlike down, wool retains its thermoregulatory properties. Merino products rarely need to be washed and can be used well on multi-day tours. They are soft, super light and warm - a perfect thermal insulator and breathable at the same time. In most cases, the composition is 87% wool, 12% polyester and 1% spandex. Merino wool is a natural, renewable resource and accordingly biodegradable.
- Synthetic fiber socks: Socks made of synthetics are sturdy and elastic. This allows an optimal fit that does not wear out even after countless washings. Synthetic fiber socks dry fairly quickly, but have the disadvantage of not being odorless. Synthetic fiber socks are suitable for hiking, trekking, skiing or other outdoor activities in both warm and cold temperatures. Synthetic fiber socks do not have a seam. However, most socks won't do you any good if the right footwear is missing.
- Mixed fabric socks: To combine positive properties of different materials, blended fabric is often used. Mixtures of robust elastic synthetic fibers and high-quality merino wool are popular and efficient. This results in socks that last a long time, retain their shape and are produced largely odorless.
How to dry socks properly?
To dry socks quickly, they need to be hung correctly. After shaking the sock, it should then be hung up with a clothespin at the top. Some clothes drying racks have an extra sock holder for this purpose. To save some time, socks can also be dried in the dryer. Many wonder where the quality of socks is preserved longer. In the dryer or on the clothesline? Drying on the clothesline reduces wear and tear on the materials, which means that the quality is preserved longer. In addition, this method does not incur energy costs. One drawback is, in colder temperatures, it can take quite a long time for the socks to dry.
What brands produce socks?
In our store we carry well-known brands, such as Cabaia, SCOTT, Adidas and Icebreaker, which manufacture socks. Cabaia is known for colorful, fancy and special everyday socks. The brand convinces with lifetime warranty, and recyclable products. With a convenient button on one sock and a wooden buttonhole on the other, Cabaia socks can't get lost. The high quality European materials ensure optimal quality. The colors come from a French designer. Scott, on the other hand, produces sports socks, for different uses. The abrasion-resistant and antibacterial material of the Performance SCOTT-SRAM Crew socks takes care of the cushioning on the toes and heels, so that you do not have to do without comfort during tours. As you can see, there are socks for every area of use in our online store.